Proposals are invited for Research Clusters in the Sêr Cymru National Research Network for Low Carbon, Energy and the Environment (NRN-LCEE).
Guidance notes for proposals and further details about the NRN- LCEE are available at www.nrn-lcee.ac.uk.
In brief, The NRN-LCEE will support the Clusters by coordinating the Network and providing funding for:
– Twenty Research Fellowships (3.5 to 4 years).
– Ten PhD studentships (3.5 years).
– International conference participation for the Fellows and PhD students.
– Workshops, summer schools and visiting scientists.
– The Clusters to undertake STEM activities and dissemination of the research to wider non-specialist audiences.
The Clusters are expected to run from late 2014 until 31 December 2018.
About the NRN-LCEE
The Welsh Government and Higher Education Council for Wales are supporting research excellence through their support of the National Research Network for Low Carbon, Energy and the Environment as part of the Sêr Cymru programme. The NRN-LCEE is now seeking to establish Research Clusters to address key knowledge gaps within this broad subject area. By bringing together groups with different expertise into new collaborations, it is envisioned that ambitious inter/multi-disciplinary teams will be established to deliver creative, excellent research pertinent to both national and international agendas. Ultimately the aim is to foster a sustainable network that is established to attract increased research funding, produce more high quality research outputs, and be attractive for recruiting new researchers to Wales.
The NRN-LCEE addresses the following broad themes (more details at www.nrn-lcee.ac.uk):
- Sustainable intensification
- Low carbon energy pathways
- Developing the bio economy – social, economic and technological modelling
- Impacts and mitigation of climate change and human activity
Proposals will have to demonstrate how the proposed research will fill knowledge gaps in the science covered by these broad themes, and specifically how by coming together as a Cluster researchers will be able to address one or more of the NRN-LCEE themes.
Deadline for Expressions of Interest: 14 May 2014 16:00 hrs. Deadline for Full proposals: 27 June 2014, 16:00 hrs.